The EDCTP-AREF Preparatory Fellowships is now open for applications to pursue the postdoctoral program. African Scientists are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
The purpose of the EDCTP-AREF Preparatory Fellowships is to enhance the competitiveness of up and coming post-doctoral African scientists and clinicians aspiring to win international /regional /national fellowships or grant support, such as the EDCTP Career Development Fellowships, through short-term placements at a host organisation in EU Members States, in countries associated to Horizon 2020 or in Sub-Saharan Africa which will be contracted by the home organisation to host the fellow.
The European & Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) aims to accelerate the development of new or improved drugs, vaccines, microbicides and diagnostics against HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria as well as other poverty-related infectious diseases in sub-Saharan Africa, with a focus on phase II and III clinical trials.
Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue Postdoctoral programme.
Study Subject: The challenge is, therefore, to enable African researchers to enhance their competitiveness for international funding opportunities early in their careers while retaining them in Africa, working on Africa’s health challenges and priorities.
Scholarship Award: A budget of €800,000 is available for this Call. The maximum funding will be €700,000 to support up to 100% of funding costs.
Number of Scholarships: Up to 36 successful candidate fellows will be shortlisted in the first stage and invited to a preparatory workshop led, organized and financed by AREF. Evaluation results of the first stage are expected to be made available by 12 January 2018.
Scholarship can be taken in Successful applicants must use the funding for a 3 to 9 months placement at a host organization legally established in an EU Member State, a country associated to Horizon 2020 or in a Sub-Saharan African country which will be contracted by the home organization to host the fellow. The fellow will spend a re-entry period of up to 3-months at their home organization, making a total training period of up to 12 months.(1)
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- The applicant must be an organization with an established legal entity in sub-Saharan Africa (the applicant legal entity).(2)
- The fellow must be employed or have guaranteed employment by the applicant legal entity (the home organization) where they intend to remain working for a minimum of two years after the expiration of the grant.(2)
- Fellows must:
- Be a postdoctoral scientist;
- Have been awarded their doctorate within 3 years before the submission deadline of the AREF-EDCTP Preparatory Fellowship application;
- Have been either a PhD student or MD, and have been active researchers for up to three years following the award of their doctorate;
- Be a resident of or be willing to relocate to a sub-Saharan African country;
- Not have been funded under this fellowship scheme before.
- The requested EDCTP contribution per action shall not exceed €70, 000
- Placements sought shall be for a period of at least 3 and up to 9 months, following which there will be a reintegration period of up to 3 months. The maximum fellowship duration shall be 12 months.
Nationality: African Scientists (Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo,Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia and Zimbabwe) are eligible to apply for this fellowship programme.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have been either a PhD student or MD, and have been active researchers for up to three years following the award of their doctorate.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Application process
- The application must be submitted online EDCTP grant
- Only registered users of EDCTP grants system can apply for grants and therefore you are advised to register on the system as soon as possible
Application Deadline: The Call has a two-stage application procedure. For the first stage, a letter of intent must be submitted by October 13, 2017.